HomeTown NewsNet has invited all candidates running to be on the Suffern Central School District Board to send in bios and information. We do not endorse or oppose candidates in this race.
My name is Cheryl Valenti and my husband, Anthony, and I are the proud parents of two Suffern Mounties. Our son, Bryan, graduated in 2016 and just completed his junior year at Penn State. Our younger son, Nick, is a sophomore at SHS and enjoying our robust athletics program.
For the past 15 years, I have been an active member of the community. Serving on the PTAs at Cherry Lane, Suffern Middle School and Suffern High School, as well as PTA Council, provided many opportunities for me to work closely with our wonderful teachers, staff, administrators and
community members. Together, I believe we made a difference. We raised funds for valuable programs and coordinated district-wide student assemblies and community events such as Race to Nowhere, Ryan’s Story, Hidden in Plain Sight, Hang Up and Drive and the Kind Campaign, as well as presentations on Vaping, Addiction, Mental Health Awareness and more.
Working at the Council and Region level have shown me how important it is to work together, and the work I participated in on the Strategic Planning and the BOE Advocacy Committees have been great examples of how powerful our voices can be when we unite to achieve common goals. I believe we should be one school community because we can accomplish much more when we work together to ensure our children receive the best education in a truly safe and nurturing environment.
For me, serving on the School Board is a new opportunity to make a difference. Over the years, I have remained informed by attending BOE meetings and communicating directly with the school board and the administration on many important topics. I know we all want the best for our students and I hope to have your support so we can work together to reach our common goals.
- 15 years dedicated service as Suffern schools volunteer
- BOE committee volunteer for Advocacy, Strategic Planning, Redistricting, Superintendent search, and more
- PTA officer for Cherry Lane, SMS, SHS, PTA Council and Central Hudson Region PTA
- Coordinator of programs & assemblies for students and parents on topics including
academic stress, suicide, mental health, substance abuse, teen driving safety, bullying,
character development, DASA and more
- 25+ years of professional experience and training in leadership & development,
budgeting, forecasting & financial management, negotiating and partnership
- Society for Human Resource Management- Certified Professional
- Recipient Lifetime PTA Membership Award
- Attended Prospective School Board Member workshop, April 2019
- District resident for 25 years
- Married to Anthony for 25 years
- Proud parent of a Suffern grad and a current SHS student